[Buildroot] Serial port loging

Johnnie Peters johnnie123 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 29 19:54:29 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am building a buildroot environment for the CM-X270 board.  I have it
defined to use "arm" "xscale" and "EABI".  I have added a getty for
ttySA0 into the inittab and now I get a login prompt on the serial
port.  I see that the "root" login has a blank password field int he
/etc/shadow file so I expected it to just login in when I enter root.

Instead it pauses for a few seconds and displays the login prompt
again.  I then set up the shutdown login to run reboot.  When I tried
this I got an error that indicated it was not being ran as root so I set
the owner ID of shutdown in the /etc/passwd file to be 0.  Now when I
try to login as shutdown it also pauses for a few seconds and then
displays the login prompt again.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any info,

Johnnie