[Buildroot] Can't access tty; job control turned off.

Rolf Blindheim rolf at elektronix.no
Tue Aug 21 13:46:09 UTC 2007

Hello.
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but I'm getting nowhere with
other forums, goggle, etc..
I've created a toolchain from todays buildroot-snapshot, leaving all the
default settings just to make sure I'm not screwing up something. The image
builds fine. I'm booting with a custom linux-2.6.21.5 kernel, which seems to
work as expected too.
The image is supposed to work on an embedded device, running the AMD Geode x86
CPU. The boot is working as intended, with switch_root and tmpfs, etc, but
when init is initializing the problem is that I get no login prompt. sysinit
can't pull /sbin/getty on /dev/tty1 with the default inittab which comes with
buildroot/busybox.
after adding ::sysinit:/bin/ash in /etc/inittab, I get a shell running
on /dev/console, but along comes:

/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

I've read every post I can imagine on the subject, but there is something here
I just don't get.
I'd really appreciate any hints, preferable solutions ;) on this.. I'm so
stuck with this, and my time is running out soon..
All device nodes are created properly in /dev from /sys.
Please let me know if I've forget to include some information.

--
Rolf Blindheim
<rolf at elektronix.no>