[Buildroot] Redundant kernel patches in the snapshotfrom20070718

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Wed Aug 1 07:03:42 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:59:14AM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>
> Can we settle on the following procedure:
>
> You provide a full patch that does the final migration to unpack and
> patch a kernel for each project, install it's headers into the project
> specific dir (from within target/linux/Makefile.in, if you prefer).
> I'd like to review (and eventually discuss) this patch before it is
> finally committed.

Sounds OK with me, but I still need to do the stuff in a separate directory
from target/linux initially, because if I do it inside that directory,
then there is a high probability that I run into conflicts with other
patches during the work.
It is going to take some time obviously.

> Whether you rm toolchain/kernel-headers or not (and how you deal with
> kernel-headers-old vs. kernel-header-new) is up to you. I just want to
> do this migration in one (tested) step.

I think that kernel-headers need to remain for pre 2.6.19 kernels.
Noticed that nios2 support will break without that.
For later kernels, it is better to do it in target/linux/

> Most of the needed steps do already exist, it's merely a matter of
> unpacking the kernel in the project specific dir and decide how to
> handle patches, i.e. whether to only apply exact patches or try to apply
> them if they _could_ do the right thing.
>
> Ok?

Yes

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson