[Buildroot] Impossible to build EABI ARM gcc toolchain using Buildroot ?

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 13:25:41 UTC 2006

gcc-3.4.3
binutils-2.16.91.0.7
buildroot-20061031

Target Architecture: arm
Target Architecture Variant: arm926t
Target ABI: EABI
Build Options: GNU Target Suffix: ????
Toolchain options: Kernel Headers 2.6.11

Is there a way of building an EABI ARM toolchain using Buildroot ?
Or is it one of those things that is not currently possible ?

If I set the target suffix to 'elf-linux' the toolchain build
completes, but objects created with it have EABI version=0 (= no EABI).
(These will not link with a 3rd-party-built library with EABI version=4.)

If I set to to 'armelf-linux-eabi' or one of the other likely-
looking values, I get a build error from ld:
 in/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: armelf_linux
 Supported emulations: armelf_linux_eabi

I can't see any other likely setting to change ...

Any ideas ?
Or do a need a newer version of Buildroot ... or a patch ?

Thanks,
MikeW