[Buildroot] 'ld' gives "unrecognised emulation mode" - ARM toolchain unbuildable ??

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 09:34:37 UTC 2006

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/contrib/2006/crosstool-0.38-add-gcc-4.1-20060210.diff

> Also, if your target is big-endian, you need the one-line patch below
> so that big-endian is really big-endian.
>
> Cheers,
> - Michael

Many thanks - but I am unable to configure Buildroot to give an EABI
compatible (version != 0) toolchain.
I have now tried also using the most recent GCC and Binutils in the
Buildroot menuconfig options, this using buildroot-20061031.

What is the required 'GNU target suffix' or other setting to enable
EABI operation ? (Obviously I have set 'Target ABI: EABI')

The only target suffix that appears to give a workable toolchain
(i.e. one that doesn't say 'unrecognised emulation mode')
is 'elf-linux', and that doesn't seem to support EABI (objects built
with it have EABI version 0)

If I use any other target suffix settings in the menuconfig
(e.g. elf-linux-eabi or even tried elf-linux_eabi) I get:
".../bin/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: armelf_linux
Supported emulations: armelf_linux_eabi" ... but I am unable to
obtain that setting :(

Regards,
Mike